Public benefit organisation (PBO)
To qualify for registration as a PBO, organisations must have as their primary objective, one or more of the following Public Benefit Activities listed in Part 1 of the Ninth Schedule to the Income Tax Act:
- welfare and humanitarian
- health care
- land and housing
- education and development
- religion, belief or philosophy
- conservation, environment and animal welfare
- research and consumer rights
- providing of funds, assets or other resources
What about tax?
If you want your company to be approved as a public benefit organisation (PBO) you must apply at the South African Revenue Service (SARS).
To qualify for approval as a PBO an organisation must be incorporated or established in South Africa as:
- a non-profit company which has a memorandum of incorporation as a founding document
- a trust which has a trust deed as a founding document or
The organisation will be exempt from income tax if it is approved by the South African Revenue Service (SARS) and complies with the requirements set out on the Income Tax Act.
Duration: 5 Days